Friday, September 23, 2011

What kind of hours do military surgeons work? Do all military physicians really work 40 hours a week?

I am a medical student and HPSP participant. I was initially leaning away from surgery as my choice in profession because I want to have free time to spend with my family. But it seems I read somewhere that the military (Air Force in this case) only has their doctors work 40 hours a week and they get 30 days of paid vacation, unlimited sick leave, as well as holidays. Can it be true? |||It may be true that they may only physically be at the office for around 40 hrs a week, however, you could be called into work at anytime, any hour. Remember, they sign a contract as well 24/7/365. As for the 30 days of vacation they do not just automatically get them. They are earned at a rate of 2.5 days a month. So in a year if you didn't use any of your leave you would have 30 days. And don't forget, surgeons deploy to combat zones as well. And there, the 40 hour work week certainly does not apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment